Title VI County, Township & Political Subdivision Government
Chapter 70 Powers of Political Subdivisions to Cooperate or Contract with Governmental Units
70.210: Definitions.

As used in sections 70.210 to 70.320, the following terms mean:

(1)  "Governing body", the board, body or persons in which the powers of a municipality or political subdivision are vested;

(2)  "Municipality", municipal corporations, political corporations, and other public corporations and agencies authorized to exercise governmental functions;

(3)  "Political subdivision", counties, townships, cities, towns, villages, school, county library, city library, city-county library, road, drainage, sewer, levee and fire districts, soil and water conservation districts, watershed subdistricts, county hospitals, and any board of control of an art museum, and any other public subdivision or public corporation having the power to tax.

70.220: Political subdivisions may cooperate with each other, with other states, the United States or private persons

1.        Any municipality or political subdivision of this state, as herein defined, may contract and cooperate with any other municipality or political subdivision, or with an elective or appointive official thereof, or with a duly authorized agency of the United States, or of this state, or with other states or their municipalities or political subdivisions, or with any private person, firm, association or corporation, for the planning, development, construction, acquisition or operation of any public improvement or facility, or for a common service; provided, that the subject and purposes of any such contract or cooperative action made and entered into by such municipality or political subdivision shall be within the scope of the powers of such municipality or political subdivision. If such contract or cooperative action shall be entered into between a municipality or political subdivision and an elective or appointive official of another municipality or political subdivision, said contract or cooperative action must be approved by the governing body of the unit of government in which such elective or appointive official resides.